Many computer repairers will wipe your hard drive and reload your operating system when you put a computer in for repairs.
I recently helped someone who put her laptop in for a new keyboard and the repairer replaced:
- The Keyboard
- The Hard Drive
- The Ram
She gave the old hard drive to me in the hope that i would be able to get her documents off the drive , the repairer of the laptop claimed they could not ( they did not try hard enough as I was able to recover all documents ).
- Did she need her ram changed , no.
- Did she need a new hard drive , probably not
So when putting your computer in for repairs it pays to ask a few questions.
- Are you an authorized repairer for the computers brand?
- Are you going to wipe my hard drive?
- How long will this job take?
Don't underestimate the question of time as in Adelaide there was a computer repairer that if you got your computer back within 6 months , yes 6 months , you were doing well.
Remember have a backup schedule.