Lets Put The Celebrity Photo “ hack “ Into Perspective
Many media outlets blamed Apple and iCloud however it has been reported that the photos that were put on the internet came from Apple devices , Android devices and webcams.
This was a targeted attack on the celebrities.
So how did they do this?
- Email account – email address they found this out
- They knew the answers to the security questions used on these accounts – mothers name , favourite car , first job are not hard to find out
- Weak password that was used on multiple accounts
- They could have clicked links in emails giving them access to their computers
Lets not confuse iCloud and “ the cloud
- The cloud is storing information and data at a separate location that you access via an internet connection.
- There are very few people that have not used the cloud whether you are aware of this or not – when you use a credit card you are using “ the cloud “
- iCloud is Apples software to back up your settings , photos , contacts ,documents ( made on Apples devices ) and is secure if you follow the rules for security
Turning off iCloud is not the solution
- Good passwords are and do not use the same password on multiple accounts – or use a password mananger such as Last Pass
- 2 Factor authentication should be turned on
- Look at your security questions , if you are a celebrity , first job , mothers name , favourite car are pretty easy to get
Why upload and store your data on the internet ?
- It is safe , your actions or lack of action is what makes it unsafe
- The easiest backup solution
The Rules For Using The Cloud – Online Accounts
- Strong Passwords – no visible word that is in the dictionary – break the word up with numbers , symbols , capital letters
- Don’t use the same password on multiple accounts
- Look for and turn on 2 factor authentication
- Record your security questions and don’t give the standard answers