I am always asked about what parents can do to protect children accessing the online world when using the home computer
The first with younger children is making sure the computer is in a clear line of site in the home so that parents are able to see what their children are doing.
Next have a look at the following articles :
- For Windows users – Setup Family Safety
- For Apple users – Setup Parental Controls On A Mac
- For iPhone / iPad users – Setup Parental Controls On An iPad / iPhone
- For Google / Android users – Google Family Safety
The Telstra Gateway Max is a great solution and a great router at controlling times that your children can access the internet.
The next is the use of your router and sending your internet traffic through servers that are configured to your choices and will give you the ability to block unwanted content.
The service I recommend is Open DNS
Open DNS gives you the ability to block adult content , social media sites and video sharing sites
Open DNS is very easy to set up
- Start an account
- Change one setting in your router
- Then choose what you want to block / configure with open DNS