Everything changes including my opinion of antivirus software – there are some that are good and some that I find in my experience are not great at all.
So do you need commercial antivirus software such as Trend or Norton ?
It depends if you can follow the rules :
So What Are The Rules For Self Protection
- Do you keep your operating system up to date and are running Windows 10 ?
- Do you keep your software up to date such as Adobe , Office ?
- Are you good at looking at emails and deciding which ones are genuine before you click on them ?
- Do you only browse to what you think are safe sites on the internet
- Do you download files and software from known sources that are safe or are you taking a chance
- Do you ensure that when you take thumb drives and hard drives from other sources that you think are safe and just plug them into your computer that you scan them for infections
If you can follow the rules then you can stick with Defender which does a great job , but most people cannot stick with the rules on a continuous basis and that is when they need a commercial antivirus.
Some Antivirus companies have got their act together such as Trend or Norton others which I have been critical in the past have still not – AVG , Avast , Avira , McAfee
Infection rates of computers in home owners and businesses continues to rise and that is why you need all the help you can get.
For more information and what to do if you are infected , click here : Virus Malware Advice