So you went out and bought a drone but are a bit unsure of the rules around flying them , well you have to be careful as fines can range up to $110,000
- Only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of-sight. This means seeing it with your own eyes, rather than through a device, at all times.
- You can’t fly it higher than 120 metres (400ft) above the ground.
- You must keep your drone at least 30 metres away from other people.
- You can’t fly over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway without prior approval. For example – a car crash, police operations, a fire or search and rescue operation.
- You can only fly one at a time.
- You must not fly over or above people. For example – beaches, parks, events, or sport ovals where there is a game in progress.
- If your drone weighs more than 100g, you must keep at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes.
- You can’t operate a drone in a way that is hazardous to another aircraft, person or property.
- You have to respect personal privacy and not record or photograph people without their consent.
For further information visit including how to report incidents visit CASA