It is Scam Awareness Week which is run by the ACCC every year at this time.
Here are 10 tips we should be on the lookout for to prevent us getting scammed.
- People asking you for money who you don’t know in person including asking you to buy iTunes gift cards
- People asking you for advance fees to receive a loan, prize or other winnings
- People asking you to move your conversation off Social Media (such as a separate email)
- People claiming to be a friend or relative in an emergency
- People claiming you owe money ( supposedly from the tax dept or a fine etc)
- Messages or posts with poor spelling and grammatical mistakes
- Emails with addresses that don’t match the official website
- Pages representing large companies, organizations or public figures that are not verified
- People or accounts directing you to a website/page to claim a prize
- People or organisations that ask to logon to your computer to fix issues , check details – don’t let strangers do this.
Stay in control of your personal details and be wary of anyone seeking your information online or over the phone
Ask yourself “Is this too good to be true? ”