Windows XP – Don’t want to move on – What can you do ?
There are 8 days to go to the end of support for Windows XP
So you don’t want to upgrade or cant afford to upgrade , what can you do ?
Here are my suggestions.
Make sure your computer is “ clean as a whistle “ – no infections on the computer or through the browser.
If you are not sure you should get some help.
Make sure all updates to April 8th are done and installed
Now here is what you need to do.
- Stop using Internet Explorer
- Use Google Chrome or Firefox with no add ons or extensions
- Uninstall Adobe Flash , Adobe Reader , Java
- Move your emails to online , Gmail / Outlook.com
- Use an antivirus product – my preference is eset.com.au
- Stop running as an administrator – run as a limited user – this means you will not be able to install any software without an admin password
Realise that in the end you will have to make the move to a new computer or upgrade your old one if it will take it as the above steps will only work for so long before disaster strikes.