I had another person ring me after they had dialled the phone number that appeared on their computer screen saying that they were infected and if they dialled this number a ” tech ” would be able to solve all their issues on their computer.
So lets run through this invoice .
- Windows PC security update ; all updates were not done
- Trend Micro installed – yes a pirate version was , not registered to anyone or in the customers name – no Trend account was created
- System Optimisation – nonsense statement
- Cleanup and Tune up – not done
- Browser and registry cleanup – not done
- Junk File Removal – not done
- Email protection – I can only presume this was part of Trend
- Maximise network security – I can only presume this was part of Trend
- Disk Utility – nonsense statement
- Browsers Protection Toolbar – nonsense statement
- Defragmentation Of Disc – you don’t do this anymore
- Adblockers for IE and Google Chrome – installed an Adblocker that was not working
I removed another 45 pieces of malware from the computer , uninstalled programs , reset the browsers , performed all the updates , removed the copy of Trend and did a disc cleanup.
Let me make one thing clear here as well;
You cannot remove computer infections ( malware / virus infections by remotely logging on as the computer needs to be rebooted many times and with certain software cannot be on the internet while you are doing this.
Also supplying banking details to ” unknown ” people usually means they will try to access that account again
You will need to try and get your money back and notify your bank.