Are you concerned that you maybe infected with malware – virus infections on your computer ?
The question you may ask yourself is: Why didn’t my antivirus stop this ?
Well there are a myriad of answers to that question:
- Some antivirus software is not very good
- You did the wrong thing and as an administrator on your computer it overwrites the antivirus
- You did not follow my 10 step guide to minimising your risk of infection
Should I Install A Commercial Antivirus?
Everything changes including my opinion of antivirus software – there are some that are good and some that I find in my experience are not great at all.
So do you need commercial antivirus software such as Trend or Norton ?
It depends if you can follow the rules :
So What Are The Rules For Self Protection
- Do you keep your operating system up to date and are running Windows 10 ?
- Do you keep your software up to date such as Adobe , Office
- Are you good at looking at emails and deciding which ones are genuine before you click on them
- Do you only browse to what you think are safe sites on the internet
- Do you download files and software from known sources that are safe or are you taking a chance
- Do you ensure that when you take thumb drives and hard drives from other sources that you think are safe and just plug them into your computer that you scan them for infections
If you can follow the rules then you can stick with Defender which does a great job , but most people cannot stick with the rules on a continuous basis and that is when they need a commercial antivirus.
Some Antivirus companies have got their act together such as Trend or Norton others which I have been critical in the past have still not – AVG , Avast , Avira , McAfee
Infection rates of computers in home owners and businesses continues to rise and that is why you need all the help you can get.
You Have Malware – What Can you Do ?
First : Reset your browsers back to their default settings and clear the cache.
NEXT : Try the MRT tool – the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool – This is updated by Microsoft every month with Windows Update – which if you are infected will; not be working either but try the instructions – it will do a scan of your computer for infections.
If these do not work , Contact Me , to arrange for a professional cleanup of your computer which involves me running ” multiple ” pieces of software through your computer. Malware removal is constantly changing and just one piece of software will not ,in most cases ,remove the infection or offending piece of software that resulted in your computer being infected.
I will also attempt to identify for you why you were infected in the first place.
In some cases your computer will have to be wiped and reinstalled from a known good copy of Windows.
You should also follow my 10 STEP GUIDE to minimise the risk of malware / virus infection
Does my smartphone need an antivirus ?
In one word NO.
Mobile phones have enhanced security with apps sandboxed from one another, and therefore, are extremely secure.
Android can detect if a “bad app ” is installed and then Google can stop it plus remember to only install apps from reputable sources ( The Google Play Store )
iPhones definitely do not need an antivirus and if you install one it will do little.
Can I Change My Antivirus ?
Yes , details can be found here