I am asked all the time what should I be backing up from my computer , especially when you are going to reinstall the operating system.
- Music ( iTunes library if you have one )
- Desktop – yes people store so much on their desktop
- Email ( Your PST file if you are on Outlook ) – Export Mail if you are using a Mac – you would not have to bother if you used Gmail or Outlook.com – it is all in the cloud
- Internet Favourites – its in your user profile or export out of IE , Chrome or Firefox
- Software you have downloaded – don’t forget activation keys which maybe in emails.
- Make sure you know your email password from your provider and your settings for your email client : Tip , Take a photo of your email settings
- Know your social media logins and passwords ( Facebook etc )
- Know your online account logins and passwords ( Google , Microsoft , Apple , Dropbox etc)
Yes I know that there is software to back all this up , this is just a guide if you are doing a manual backup , which every now and then is not a bad idea.