Lets Talk Windows 8
1. Windows 8 is a tablet based operating system that also runs traditional computers as well – works best on touch based computers / tablets but also works with keyboard and mouse.
2. Windows 8 has an interface composed of rectangular tiles and, on some devices, a touch screen, no start menu
3. Windows 8 you can download, install traditional applications / programs
4. Windows RT on devices ( tablets ) & Windows 8 look at first glance exactly the same but they are not.
5. Windows RT has an interface composed of rectangular tiles and is the tablet based operating system for ARM devices
6. Windows RT is not a computer operating system. Windows RT is an operating system for mobile devices. Windows RT runs the Microsoft Surface tablet.
7. Applications and programs for Windows RT will be bundled with the device or can only be downloaded from the Windows Store , that's all
8. Windows RT devices will have better battery life, lighter weight, cheaper price points
9. However there will be mobile devices / tablets that will run Windows 8 the full version on which you can download and install anything you want.
10. Confused by the difference then you are not alone.
11. You can upgrade from Windows XP or Vista to Windows 8, download Microsoft's compatibility assistant tool, which will pinpoint the programs on your old operating system that won't work on Windows 8
12. Pricing $69 for Windows Pro / $14 to upgrade
13. Windows 8 comes with built in antivirus / malware software – you do not need to buy anything else , but you could if you wanted to.
14. Windows 8 also has an advanced boot system that will prevent advanced malware & rootkits from causing damage when starting the computer.
15. You can refresh your copy of Windows 8 which will restore the operating system and leave all your documents , pictures etc intact.
16. There is no Start button with Windows 8 but there are some apps you can download to get the same start as Windows 7
17. There is no built in DVD Playback in Windows 8 however you could use a program like VLC
18. There is no built in DVD maker with Windows 8
19. Windows 8 devices start very quickly
20. Should you upgrade – if on Windows 7 , there is no reason – Windows Vista ( maybe ) or Windows XP ( check to see if it will run )